Mo' VFX

I've never really made an effect using flipbooks so I thought I'd try learning the workflow used in the Games industry in creating a fluid simulation and make flipbooks out of it. I went  through the Imbuefx tutorial on Fluid Dynamics and Explosions in UDK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kJr5wC_oyY&list=PLoAbgsIP97amgAQgdg2dwJLIE1FEVBg2H I adapted the particle to Niagara.

Final Explosion Particle made in Niagara 


On another note, Maya's method of fluid simulation and rendering has been really frustrating. All I wanted to do was to just make a flipbook but the process was agonisingly slow. Anyway, I pushed on as I felt it was important to learn with it being a standard technique used in industry. Hopefully, I'll move onto something a lot more simpler and faster in the future like Embergen by JangaFX (currently under development.) Embergen might be a blessing for VFX artists around the world who just need to make flipbooks. 😊https://jangafx.com/ 
Maya 2018 doesn't use mental ray and it now uses Arnold which slows things down. When I finally got the hang of Arnold, I thought I'd only need to render the Density but then I realised I need to do another render pass for the colour! It took 3 days for it to render in HQ!

Density
Colour

After the annoying Maya part, it was smooth sailing ⛵. I put the images into after effects to add finishing touches to create the flipbook. Then I made a greypack through RGB channels via Photoshop.
Final Flipbook packed into RGB channels
Next, I imported it to UE4. The tutorial was using the traditional Cascade particle system but I adapted the FX to Niagara. Both Cascade and Niagara involved similar principles so it wasn't too much of a problem. It was actually quite fun.
Niagara Particle System UI. On the right it uses modules like cascade and at the (where the timeline is) are the emitters also from the cascade

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Environment Showcase Concepts

Distance Field water foam

World alignment (Tri-planar mapping)