Git

In a humble bundle game development bundle I purchased, I found one tutorial on learning how to use Git Version control from Udemy (Git Smart: Learn Git The Fun Way With Unity ). I have heard about version control like Perforce a few times in the past and it was recommended that I learn how to use it. I thought I'd see what its all about and try it out since it is a short course.

I have put the project into Git version control so I do not have to create manual backups for each iteration like I have been doing in the past. It also saves space on the hard drive. It can also 'respawn' your project if you accidentally delete it as if nothing happened to it. It feels easy like saving a game except you are doing the same with a project.

However, the main reason I am using it is that I can revert back to a change I made earlier. This gives me the freedo to experiment and not have to worry about messing up the project. This makes version control very useful and important for a project.

I am also using Gitkraken as the main GUI for Git. Gitkraken has a Glo board to help keep track of what I need to make for the project.

Gitkraken GUI for Git - From what I understand Git is usually hidden under the hood so you need a GUI/Client to visualise and manage Git. It can be done in command prompt but its easier with a GUI.
Gitkraken Glo Board - Kanban board to help keep track of my project.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Environment Showcase Concepts

Distance Field water foam

World alignment (Tri-planar mapping)