Gerstner Wave

I remember a Water Shader that Ryan Bruck's made using 'Gerstner Wave'. Initially, I didn't know what Gerstner Wave was but then I looked at Nvidia's GPU Gems book: https://developer.nvidia.com/gpugems/GPUGems/gpugems_ch01.html. It tells you exactly what it does and why it is important. It gives convincing and procedural looking Waves for water that is being used in the Games and Films industry. The equations/formula's for creating this looked scary and very confusing. It made me question if Ryan Bruck's used the material editor or HLSL to make the water.

Ryan Bruck's Water Shader:




I later found that there is a Livestream/tutorial by Dokipen that helps with figuring out how the Gerstner wave is made in the Material Editor. I will go through and see what I come up with.

UE4 Gerstner Wave Livestream/tutorial by Dokipen:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Environment Showcase Concepts

Distance Field water foam

World alignment (Tri-planar mapping)