Landscape

I wanted to make Journey's Sand in UE4 and I revisited the Sand Rendering Journey talk by John Edwards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt2yYnBRD3U

When I first saw this presentation I couldn't understand how it was made now that I've got a good idea of the Material Editor. I understand some parts of how to make the glitter effects in Journey. I have also seen a similar approach on Twitter by Rob Fichman:

Using the stuff I've learned from making the water material along with the Twitter post, I was able to make this sand in UE4:

Overview of all assets and the landscape material test

One thing that I lack in the landscape is the Oren-Nayer Shading from Journey. But from playing Journey and eyeballing the landscape shader behaviour, I just used fresnel to get a similar look. It's not ideal but it's a workaround to run with. I also played around with the procedural textures to make the height and the Normal maps from Substance Designer and imported it into UE4. I also added in a grass layer which is basically the Moss from the Rocks I made earlier. I didn't spend too much time trying to make the landscape as the main focus is to try and get the environment done.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Environment Showcase Concepts

Distance Field water foam

World alignment (Tri-planar mapping)