Palm Tree Textured

I really liked the date palm tree used in assassins creed origin. I based my palm tres on that except without the dates,
Date Palm Tree in Assassin's Creed Origin


I used Palm tree bark texture from Textures.com and modified it by making it tileable and used a cutout filter to make it stylised. After doing this just textured the rest tree trunk in substance Painter. I Handpainted the textures on the leaves. 

Before I textured the tree, I planned ahead and I assigned the branches in 3 separate materials, One for wilted leaves, semi wilted and fully green leaves. It's just so that the transition is easier to implement. In UE4, I then use the nodes in the material editor to control the wilt amount on the Branches. Also, I added in the terrain blending from the rocks. 

The result you get when assigning a material to certain leaves instead of all of them


As for the Fern, I used the palm tree model as the base and removed the trunk and the branches that won't be seen when placed on the ground (Some leaves will go underground and would be a waste of memory). This way I have a variation of full green leaves and semi Wilted leaves. However, once I imported it into UE4 and set up the material, it turned out that there was only one branch that had the Semi Wilted material assigned to it. I could have reassigned the material and set up Pivot Painter again which is a necessary step, otherwise it makes weird animation. Instead I just applied the Semi Wilted material to all the material and then I masked with the techniques I used to make the subsurface and height foam I made on the water. It does look strange and when the animated branch moves but it's a quick workaround to implement. I don't think it's noticeable from a distance.

In this case, I applied Semi Wilted Material to all of the leaves and masked based on the world position.

The wilt effect acting weird with the animation because of the World position mask I used.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Environment Showcase Concepts

Distance Field water foam

World alignment (Tri-planar mapping)